Public Advocate releases 2016 Scorecard
Guardianship orders, requests for advice and education sessions up, complaints down 41 per cent in 2016.
There were 1645 guardianship orders – an increase of 8.9% on the previous year.
Guardianship has become increasingly complex and demanding. Over the past five years there has been a:
- 50% increase in the number of actions per guardianship matter
- 64% increase in the number of documents tendered to VCAT
- 45% increase in the number of interested parties in a matter.
There were 61 individual advocacy matters – a decrease of 42% on the previous year.
This was offset by a slight increase in Disability Act 2006 advocacy and short-term advocacy, leading to a total of 561 advocacy actions, just 0.5% fewer than in 2014-15.
OPA undertook 494 investigations this year, a 12% increase on 2014-15:
- 29% related to need for accommodation decision
- 25% related to need for a guardian.
There were 1080 VCAT liaison officer interventions, similar to 2014-15.
There were 57 complaints, down from 97 last year – a 41% decrease. Majority (84%) related to Advocate Guardian Program.
OPA received 17,469 enquiries – a 23% increase on last year, largely due to changes in powers of attorney legislation.
There were 539 Section 42K notices – a 15% increase on 2014-15.
There were 194 community education presentations (54% increase on last year) to 8533 people (61% increase).
OPA’s website attracted 188,874 users – a 10% increase on last year and a 64% increase over the past three years.
OPA distributed 113,862 publications including 55,985 copies of Take Control.
More than 800 trained volunteers provided support for people with disability or mental illness including:
- 54 Community Guardians
- 416 Community Visitors (including 70 new) conducted 5268 visits
- 245 Independent Third Person’s attended 2831 police interviews (82% alleged offenders; 12% victims)
- Corrections Independent Support Officers attended 179 hearings in 13 prisons.
At the end of 2015-16, OPA had 84 staff, 22.5 part-time, equivalent to 79.27 FTE. Half (39) in the Advocate Guardian Program.
Download a PDF OPA Scorecard 2016