The report thanks the State Government for recognising in its budget the substantial increase in need for OPA’s services in recent years.
The report notes the impact of changes in medical treatment legislation including:
- creation of a New Medical Decisions Team
- 159 medical decision applications and 99 medical treatment decisions made between 12 March 2018 and 30 June 2018
- 26 publications created or updated due to the changes.
The report also notes the impact of the NDIS on the work of the office including:
- 20% of represented persons aged under 65 being NDIS participants
- 242 of the the Legal Unit's 397 cases for the yer relating to NDIS
- creation of a guide to NDIS decision-making for an adult with significant cognitive disability.
- short-term and individual advocacy increased 21% to 162 matters
- Notices to Vacate issued under the Disability Act increased 100%
- there were 389 investigations – an increase of 23%.
The report also includes case studies that highlight the challenges of protecting the human rights of, and securing accommodation and support for, people with complex needs.
The 2017-18 annual report is available to download from the OPA website.