Support for using online power of attorney forms
What online forms are available?
The Department of Justice and Community Safety has developed forms that can be filled electronically for making or revoking an enduring power of attorney.
You can save the forms to your computer and fill them out electronically, but you will still need to print the forms out to have them signed and witnessed.
There are also online forms for:
- making or revoking a supportive attorney appointment
- the resignation of an attorney or for an attorney to notify others if they become ineligible to be an attorney
- the resignation of a supportive attorney.
There are no online forms for making or revoking a general power of attorney or medical enduring power of attorney. These forms are available in PDF and can be printed and filled in by hand.
Requirements for using online forms
To use the online forms, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader or Open Office on your computer.
This software is free, and can be downloaded from https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/ if it is not already installed on your computer.
For a list of requirements that Adobe Reader or Acrobat requires in order to run, go to https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/system-requirements.html
Problems using the online forms
I am having trouble opening, saving or filling out the online forms
If you experience difficulty opening, saving or filling in the online forms, it could be because of one of the following reasons:
- Your Adobe Acrobat Reader software could be out-of-date or damaged. To check if this is the problem, see whether you can open other PDF documents from your computer or OPA’s website.
- If you are using a newer version of an internet browser, it may have PDF reader software that replaces the Adobe Acrobat Reader, and this may not be compatible with the electronic forms.
- If you are unable to save the form, it may be because your computer’s security settings are preventing it from saving; if you see a yellow bar across the top of the form, click the ‘Enable’ button on the bar.
For help fixing these problems, go to https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/quick-fix-view-pdfs-web.html
It is not possible to electronically fill out the pages of the online forms that require signatures. These pages must be filled in by hand once the document has been printed.
I am having trouble printing the forms
If you are having trouble printing the forms, it could be a problem with your printer, your computer or with the PDF.
For help to fix these problems, please go to https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/troubleshoot-pdf-printing-acrobat-reader.html
Where can I get hard copies of the forms so that I can fill out the forms by hand?
If you are still unable to fill in the forms electronically, you could try using a different computer, or printing the forms to fill them out by hand.
Hard copies of the forms are available in OPA’s publication Take Control, which you can download from this website or order a hard copy from Victoria Legal Aid’s website.
Reporting problems with the electronic forms
If you are still unable to download, save, fill in or print the online forms, you can report the problem to OPA to pass on the Department of Justice and Community Safety.