Applying to VCAT

Any adult can make an application to the VCAT Guardianship List for a guardianship or administration order if they are concerned that:

  • a person with disability is not able to make a decision that needs to be made
  • there is no other less restrictive way the decision can be made.

You may make an application because you are concerned about the decisions a person is making, or others are making for them.

You can also ask VCAT to appoint a supportive guardian or supportive administrator to help the person make their own decisions.

Guardianship and administration are a last resort, if there is no less restrictive alternative to protect and promote the human rights of an adult with disability.

Note: A guardian cannot be appointed in anticipation that a decision may need to be made in the future.

Downloadable Resources