Simplified English

Adults have the right to make their own decisions about their life.

But sometimes adults can’t make decisions because of disability, illness or injury. For example, severe dementia.

Adults may choose a person to make decisions for them if, in the future, they can’t make their own decisions.

They do this by filling out a special form called an ‘enduring power of attorney’.

If they don’t do this and can’t make decisions because of a disability, illness or injury, there is a tribunal that can help. It is called the ‘Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)’.

VCAT can choose someone to make decisions about the person’s money and property (called an ‘administrator’).

VCAT can choose someone to make a decision about the person’s lifestyle (called a ‘guardian’).

For example, this could be a decision about where the person lives or about what services they need, such as help at home.

Medical treatment decisions

The law says who can make decisions about medical treatment for another person (if that person can’t make their own decisions). For example, this could be the person’s husband or wife, or adult child.

If you have any questions

You can call the Office of the Public Advocate for advice on 1300 309 337.

You can ask for a telephone interpreter.

Downloadable Resources