This guide covers five areas that relate to making medical treatment decisions for a person who lacks medical decision-making capacity to consent to their own treatment or to refuse that treatment:
- How should medical decisions be made?
- How can the medical treatment decision maker know what the person would want?
- What challenges can a medical treatment decision maker expect?
- What is the form ‘What I understand to be the person’s preferences and values’?
- How are a person’s preferences and values translated into a medical treatment plan?