Securing Their Future: Planning for the future when you care for a person with disability

This guide has been created to help you put in place some safeguards to ensure the person with disability you care for is properly provided for, if something were to happen to you.

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) can appoint a guardian, administrator, supportive guardian or supportive administrator and these may be ways of making sure the person is cared for. Information is included in this guide about these appointments.

It is also a good idea to make a Will and plan your estate so that your assets are passed on in a way that benefits the person who relies on you for financial support.

This guide is not a do-it-yourself kit; you should get legal advice. Make sure that your lawyer knows about planning for when you are deceased (known as ‘estate planning’), as well as any specific issues relevant to the person with disability. Please note that this guide does not cover issues relating to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Downloadable Resources