SIL Houses (not SDA)

What are SIL Houses?

SIL Houses are arrangements where a Supported Independent Living (SIL) provider is providing SIL support to NDIS participants.

The arrangement is often characterised by:

  • the SIL provider owning or leasing the house
  • you have a lease, sub-lease, licence or other such agreement to live there.

Things to consider

You should think carefully before moving into a SIL House.

  • If you are leaving a group home or SDA accommodation and move to a SIL House, you will usually lose your SDA entitlement.
  • You may have to pay a bond.
  • You may have to pay for property damage, even if it is the result of your disability.
  • It will be easier for the provider to evict you (tell you that you must leave) than if you were in a group homes under the Disability Act or in SDA enrolled dwellings with an SDA residency agreement.

Before you sign, you should make sure any written agreement is checked by an independent person who has a good understanding of disability accommodation law.


  • Complaints to the NDIS Quality & Safeguards Commissioner.
  • Consumer Affairs Victoria for Australian Consumer Law.
  • The Victorian and Civil Administration Tribunal (VCAT) – residential tenancies list for tenancy disputes.